Every R&B fan knows that too much can never be enough. This is because there’s always an opportunity to learn something from a good R&B song: harmony, soul, spirit, and strength. From the heartbreaking love songs to the lively dance tracks, the finest R&B songs have it all. While there toe too many great R&B songs that could be seen as some of the best tracks in history, we have pared down the available songs to pick the cream of the cream, from the sassy 70s to the cheeky 90s and beyond. Here is our list of the 20 best R&B songs of all time:
- Nobody – Keith Sweat Ft Athena Cage: one of the key players in the new jack movement, Keith sweat hit the airwaves with this snooty judgment of his foreplay skills in the 90s. The addition of a female voice in the track made it even more exciting. As Athena and Keith exchange vocals, tensions arise and harmony is certainly realized, making it one of the sexiest duets in the history of R&B music.
- Ain’t No Mountain High Enough: Tammi Terrell and Marvin Gaye exchange vocals in the various verses and then team up in the chorus to emphasize that love is truly infinite.
- My Girl: a memorable guitar riff accompanied by The Temptations’ smooth vocals make this track one of the best R&B songs in history.
- I Believe I Can Fly: a classic from renowned American R&B artist R. Kelly and an epic tune for a 90s song, this track is one of the top 10 best R n B songs of all time.
- I Heard It Through the Grapevine: while the first version of this track was recorded by Smoky Robinson & The Miracles, Marvin Gaye’s version is an epic tune. His impressive vocals did turn the sobbing/piercing vocals into something out of this world.
- Rock the Boat: Aaliyah may have passed on too soon, but she left a mark in the form of some great tracks that continue to enthrall R&B fans to this day. Rock the Boat’ was Aaliyah’s sexiest record while she was full of sexual innuendo through extensive nautical metaphors as well as a lively instrumental.
- Bump N’ Grind’: this track was recorded by R. Kelly when he was still making bedroom-friendly tunes without any stunts. It is the sexiest of all his romance tracks, pulsating along with its smooth baseline, romantic synthesizers and shameless lyrics about why tee is nothing wrong about bumping and grinding’ it.
- Let’s Get It On: there is no prize for guessing the number of babies that were conceived because of Marvin Gaye’s single ‘Let’s Get It On.’ This track is the ultimate sex song, grave enough to instill confidence in a guy to get it on and sexy enough to put a woman in the mood.
- Billie Jean: Jackson’s Billie Jean is based on an episode whereby a female fan claimed that Michael had fathered her baby. What came out of that incident was a groundbreaking track that has gone on to become one of the greatest R&B songs ever.
- When Doves Cry: Prince’s When Doves Cry is a unique R&B song that comes out without bass. He also explained what it feels like whenever droves cry
Other tracks that made it to the top 20 best R&B songs of all time include:
- U Got It Bad – Usher
- Oh- Ciara feat. Ludacris
- Just To Be Close To You – The Commodores
- All My Life – K-Ci & Jojo
- Anytime – Brian McKnight
- Here And Now – Luther Vandross
- Endless Love – Lionel Richie & Diana Ross
- If I Ain’t Got You – Alicia Keys
- Forever Mine – The O’Jays
- Overjoyed – Stevie Wonder
As you already know, music is highly subjective and therefore, some of these songs might not match exactly what you think. However, constructive help is highly welcome. If you think we have missed one of the top 20 best R&B songs of all times, don’t hesitate to add it in the comments section.